We have operated on fact in all areas of responsibility and where possible we are open to sharing information.
Human Resource approach:
- Fully staffed, all jobs advertised locally first
- Staff training provided, notable success on courses taken by staff; 95% average
- In-house staff provide invaluable resource pool for all departments and are completing priority work i.e., Landfill work at substantial savings as per community and water board requirements.
- Staff home purchases
- Hire local and invest in training
- Mentorship models
- Staff satisfaction levels at 95%, we are once again becoming an employer of choice
- Transition plans for manager levels in all departments
- Institutional memory = sustainability and follow through on plans and investments
- Possibility of pool opening are working on in community training plan for lifeguards
Contractor approach: goal of supporting more local businesses, ensuring less politicizing of the contractor/town relationship
- Fair awarding of contracts, regardless of contractor
- No undue conflict of interest by councillor/contractor: diligently managed at Council level
- Sole sourced to contractor when need for expediency, been open public meeting process
- New lens on contract work with goal of saving operational funds and investing in capital projects
- An RFQ for equipment was posted to the community. All quotes included in our resultant listing.
- The agreement refers to agreed upon rates being set for the term of the agreement, it does not mean we will use the equipment. This is not an award of a contract, but a process which affords the Town the ability to access equipment when and if required economically and efficiently
- This was not a process by which to give any one contractor management control over the landfill, the Town manages the Landfill
- Our workers are FTE and as such are available for more work than equipment operation, and this year considering an increase in SLWB requirements, and a community call for more management of the landfill we have hired a Landfill Coordinator fulltime and a landfill MSW half-time. Both positions are available to offset work in other areas as needed and vice versa.
- Contracting is more expensive than in house staffing in many cases
- Council has attempted to support other small and mid-sized in town contractors: “Jackfish, graveyard, resting areas, elder’s driveways and contractors