On the 9th of June a public meeting was held to address the concerns of Town residents on the implementation of the Solid Waste By-Law as drafted and approved through a second reading.
Town staff, in consideration of the issues raised by one resident and the collection contractor have revisited the By-Law to amend appropriate sections in order to address their concerns. Staff have also prepared a Summary Table ( attached ) that identifies all of the issues raised and suggested measures that the Town can undertake in implementing the By-Law.
Of the specific concerns raised they can be considered as either;
- Requiring an amendment to the By-Law;
- A matter that can be addressed through the discretion Town staff apply in enforcing the By-Law: and
(3) Requires political consideration ( Imposing fees )
Staff have amended the By-Law to address a number of issues raised by the Town collection contractor, namely ;
- “Truck Load” means a quantity of waste that can be transported in a regular pick-up truck. A pick-up truck’s box length not exceeding 8 feet (2.4 metres);
Waste Transport Section
- “Any vehicle operator shall segregate special waste(s) within truck load for identification and proper storage or disposal at the Solid Waste Disposal Facility. “
( note : this would not apply to the Town’s waste collection contractor )
- “ Hazardous waste fines assessed to be determined upon the severity and volume of waste. The determination of the fine amount will be established by a licensed and qualified engineer.”
It is the recommendation of Town staff that the amended By-Law be passed in the interests of ;
- Establishing the waste management facility operating standards and practices needed to meet the compliance requirements detailed in the Sahtu Land and Water Board licence.
- Implementation of a “ User Pay “ principle that reflects the volume of use that a resident or businesses has of the Town’s waste management facility.
- Establish the financing program needed to address and minimize the environmental restoration and liability associated with operating the landfill facility and it’s future replacement.
To review the Draft Solid Waste Management By Law, click here.